Jan. 22, 2014
Photo Gallery | Full 2014 Roster
Stony Brook, N.Y. – Stony Brook volleyball head coach Coley Pawlikowski is excited to announce that five outstanding high school student-athletes have committed to join the Seawolves for the 2014 season. Melann Amory, Cydney Bowman, Courtney Scanlan, Abby Hickey and Dani Nizich will don the Stony Brook red as freshmen this fall.
"In our first full recruiting cycle, we are excited to add to what we already have in place and strengthen our group,” Pawlikowski said. “Not only do these student-athletes possess important individual skill sets and athleticism, they are exceptionally driven, hard working and competitive young ladies with high volleyball IQs.“
“They understand and fit with the culture we are building here at Stony Brook and will complement our returning squad very well. We are looking forward to this Seawolves recruiting class and welcoming them to our gym."
Melann Amory – 5-10 – OH/DS – Center Valley, Pa./Southern Lehigh HS/Synergy VBC
- Four-year letterwinner at Southern Lehigh HS
- Led Southern Lehigh to Pennsylvania State Semifinals in 2010 and 2013 and the Pennsylvania State Finals in 2011
- Helped Southern Lehigh advance to the District 11 finals in all four seasons, including three titles
- Volleyball accolades: AVCA Phenom (2012 and 2013), All-America Watch List (2013), All-District and All-State (2011, 2012 and 2013), District MVP (2013), Allentown Morning Call Player of the Year (2013), Allentown Morning Call Team of the Year (2010 and 2013) and Coordinated Health Athlete of the Week (2013)
- Recorded more than 300 blocks as a sophomore, junior and senior and at least 100 kills in each of her four seasons
- Played club volleyball for Synergy
- Also lettered in basketball and soccer, winning league titles in each
- Led area in 3-pointers as a junior
- Plans to major in occupational therapy
"Melann is very independently driven and a self motivator. She has strong natural leadership attributes that have been instrumentally important to her high school and club programs. Going above and beyond what is expected of her for her team is her norm. Her team-first attitude has gained her experience at nearly every position while also providing her with a solid understanding of the game and her teammates’ roles."
Cydney Bowman – 5-11 – MB/OH –Lake Mary, Fla./Lake Mary HS/Orlando Volleyball Academy
- Earned four letters in volleyball at Lake Mary HS
- Led Lake Mary to back-to-back State Final Four appearances, finishing second in 2013, and four consecutive conference championships
- Also led team to Regional Semifinals in 2010 and district titles in three of her four seasons
- Paced team in blocks and digs
- Volleyball accolades: All-Conference honorable mention, Max Preps Player of the Week, second team All-Conference, MVP Tampa Volleyball Camp
- Captain of Orlando Volleyball Academy and helped squad qualify for the Junior Olympics in each of her seasons (2008-13)
- Part of Orlando Volleyball Academy team which placed fifth in Open Division at 2010 AAU Nationals, third in Open Division at 2010 Junior Olympics and eighth in National Division at 2013 Junior Olympics
- Also an all-conference performer for the track and field team; competes in shot put, discus and the 4x100
- Father, Tony Bowman, played football for Bowling Green State University
- Cousin, Corliss Williamson, played basketball for the University of Arkansas and went on to play professionally for the Detroit Pistons and Sacramento Kings and is currently an assistant coach for the Kings
- Plans to major in business management
"Cydney’s sheer competitiveness makes others around her better. She brings effort and energy! She outworks her opponents resulting in success for her team. Bowman not only brings a strong volleyball IQ and background in multiple positions, she understands what it takes to contribute to a winning culture."
Courtney Scanlan – 6-1 – MB/OH – Salamanca N.Y./Ellicotville HS/Niagara Frontier VBC
- Team captain and a four-year letterwinner in volleyball at Ellicotville HS
- Volleyball accolades: First Team All-Western New York (2012 and 2013), MVP Class D All-State (2012), first team All-League (2012 and 2013), Super 7 Athlete of the Week (2012) and Jamestown Post Journal Player of the Week (2012)
- Helped Ellicotville HS to first-place finish in New York Class D in 2012
- Led Niagara Frontier to first-place finishes in Open Division at Northeast Qualifiers and Pre-Nationals in Chicago in 2013
- Also earned six letters in bowling and three in softball, earning all-league accolades in both
- Served as team captain of bowling team as a junior and senior
- Intends to major in athletic training
"Courtney will be a really fun addition to the gym athletically. She is springy, moves well and is a versatile player. Her positive and team-first attitude along with desire to win will make her a great addition to our group. With her size, attitude and athleticism, we are excited about what she has potential to do here at Stony Brook!"
Abby Hickey – 5-6 – DS/OH – Dekalb, Ill./Dekalb HS/Kane County Juniors and Fusion
- Two-year letterwinner and one-year captain Dekalb HS volleyball team in Dekalb, Ill.
- Volleyball accolades: All-Area honorable mention (2012 and 2013), All-Conference honorable mention (2012 and 2013), Student-Athlete of the Week and Academic All-Conference
- Illinois State Scholar who earned an academic letter
- Played club volleyball for Kane County Juniors and Fusion
- Also a four-year member and two-time all-conference selection in soccer
- Will major in health sciences
"Abby has a great desire and a competitive attitude to push herself past barriers and improve. She embraces challenges and thrives in a competitive environment. Athletically, she is quick-footed and explosive. Her fearless mentality and strong ball control contribute to the makings of a great defender."
Dani Nizich – 5-4 – DS/S – Nesconset, N.Y./Smithtown East HS/The Long Island Academy
- Four-year letterwinner in volleyball at Smithtown East HS
- Served as team captain her junior and senior seasons, leading the team to a 12-0 mark as a senior
- Volleyball accolades: Most Outstanding Player League III (2013), Suffolk County MVP (2013), All-New York State Selection Team (2013), Player to Watch (2012), Max Preps Player of the Week, (2012 and 2013), Tournament MVP (2012), Defensive Player of the Year (2012), Suffolk County Top 50 (2011 and 2012), All-Long Island First Team (2013), All-Long Island Second Team (2012), All-Suffolk County (2012), All-League (2011, 2012 and 2013), All-Suffolk County Tournament Team (2011 and 2012), Booster MVP (2012 and 2013) and Smithtown HS Team MVP (2013)
- Led Smithtown East HS to two county championships in 2011 and 2013 and the Long Island Championships in 2011
- Won league titles in each of her seasons at Smithtown East HS
- Contributed to a team that was ranked third in the state for Division AA in 2011
- Selected to present at the AP Conference for Smithtown High Schools in 2012
- Played club volleyball for The Long Island Academy, helping the team place third at Regionals in 2011 and 2012
"We are thrilled to have added Dani to this class. When we first saw Dani in action, we were immediately and then repeatedly drawn back by the passion and leadership she put forth for her group. First and foremost, she brings solid ball control and a contagious attitude to our group. Dani also adds depth at the setting position. I have no doubt Dani will work tirelessly to better herself and our program."