Sept. 15, 2012
South Orange, N.J., - Freshman Melissa Rigo (East Northport, N.Y.) had a match-high 11 kills, and freshman Nicole Vogel (Costa Mesa, Calif.) recorded 19 assists as the Stony Brook volleyball team knocked off Morgan State in straight sets (25-18, 25-16, 25-9) at the Seton Hall Invitational. Rigo and fellow freshman Stephanie McFadden (San Juan Capistrano, Calif.) were named to the All-Tournament team.
Coach Deb DesLauriers' Reaction
"We had a strong serving match today, posting nine aces. At times, I thought we showed signs of greatness. It's exciting to watch. And I am starting to see a balance to our team on offense and defense, which bodes well for us in the future."
The Numbers Game
- Rigo has led the team in kills in 11 of the 12 matches this season.
- Senior Greta Strenger (Woodbury, Minn.) led the team with seven digs.
- Stony Brook held Morgan State to .000 hitting percentage.
- In the first set, the play was fairly even until junior Hailee Herc (Eden, N.Y.) ripped off a pair of aces that sparked a 5-0 run.
- The Seawolves jumped out to a 9-3 lead in the second set en route to a nine-point set win.
- The third set was close early, but the Seawolves ripped off six straight points, including four on Morgan State attack errors.
The Seawolves are off until Tuesday, Sept. 25, when they host their home opener against LIU-Brooklyn at Pritchard Gymnasium at 7 p.m.