Women's tennis blanks Lehigh, edged by Penn
Feb. 16, 2013
Bethlehem, Pa. -
Despite a 4-3 loss to Penn on Friday, Stony Brook's women's tennis team was impressive during the opening weekend of the 2013 season. The Seawolves avenged Friday's loss with a 7-0 shutout of Lehigh to cap the weekend.
After losing at No. 1 doubles against Lehigh, the Seawolves rallied to capture the doubles point with wins at No. 2 and No. 3. Sophomores Cassandra Dix (Northamptonshire, United Kingdom) won at No. 4 singles, 6-0, 6-0 and Polina Movchan (Kiev, Ukraine) was victorious at No. 2 singles to take a commanding 3-0 lead. Senior Nini Lagvilava (Tbilsi, Georgia) clinched the win over Lehigh with a 6-1, 7-5 win at No. 1 singles.
Despite dropping the doubles point to Penn, Lagvilava handed the Quakers their first individual-match loss of the season with a 7-5, 7-5 victory at No. 1 singles. Movchan rallied at No. 2 singles to win 1-6, 7-6, 6-4, but Stony Brook captured only one more singles flight the rest of the way after freshman Jackie Altansarnai (Hinsdale, Ill.) won a deciding third set, 6-2.
The women's team will take on Connecticut at Army next Saturday, February 23 in match rescheduled due to last week's blizzard.
Penn 4, Stony Brook 3
1. Eskenazi/Latycheva (UP) def. Movchan/Shtilkind (SBU); 8-3
2. Do/Rodin (UP) def. Lagvilava/Badoche (SBU); 8-7 (5)
3. Whitfield/Jania (UP) def. Pike/Dix (SBU); 8-5
Stony Brook 7, Lehigh 0
1. Bilimoria/Farrell (LU) def. Movchan/Shtilkind (SBU) 8-5
2. Badoche/Altansarnai (SBU) def. Prim/Bruch (LU) 8-4
3. Dix/Setyon (SBU) def. Kaminetsky/Sloand (LU) 8-5
1. Nini Lagvilava (SBU) def. Jenai Bilimoria (LU) 6-1, 7-5
2. Polina Movchan (SBU) def. Abby Farrell (LU) 6-1, 6-1
3. Becky Shtilkind (SBU) def. Ali Kaminetsky (LU) 7-6 (2), 6-4
4. Cassandra Dix (SBU) def. Emily Bruch (LU) 6-0, 6-0
5. Chloe Pike (SBU) def. Jill Sloand (LU) 6-2, 6-0
6. Lisa Setyon (SBU) def. Marian Prim (LU) 6-0, 6-0