#Seawolves maintain perfect home record, drop UMass Lowell, 1-0
Oct. 6, 2013
Stony Brook, N.Y. - The Stony Brook women's soccer team (7-3-1) improved to 6-0 at LaValle Stadium this season with a 1-0 victory over UMass Lowell on Sunday. Senior Larissa Nysch (Dresher, Pa.) scored the game-winner in the ninth minute as the Seawolves moved to 2-0 in the America East.
Coach Sue Ryan's Reaction
"This was the first time we've played this team, and I thought they came out with a gritty, gutsy performance. I think they'll make a great addition to our conference. No matter who we play against, we're really buying into the concept of protecting our home turf. Our output has to be the same every time out, and that's to defend relentlessly, attack relentlessly and play for the win."
• The Seawolves scored the game's only goal in the ninth minute when junior Shannon Grogan (Eastampton, N.J.) crossed the ball in front from the left wing to Nysch, who headed it off the right post and in.
The Numbers Game
• Stony Brook outshot UMass Lowell (0-11-0, 0-2-0 America East) by a 20-8 margin, including 11-2 in the second half.
News & Notes
• Sunday was the first-ever meeting between Stony Brook and UMass Lowell.
• The Seawolves won their fifth straight game against America East opposition dating back to last year.
• Nysch scored her 17th career goal Sunday, which ties her with Krisha Zagura and Brooke Barbuto for the eighth-most in Stony Brook history.
• Grogan picked up her third assist of the year Sunday, which ties her with Nysch and freshman Maxie New (Clayton, N.J.) for second on the team. Sophomore Stella Norman (Lakewood, Colo.) still leads the squad with four helpers.
The Seawolves will travel to Hartford on Thursday for a rematch of the 2012 America East championship game. Kickoff is scheduled for 6 p.m.