Sept. 16, 2012
Stony Brook, N.Y. - The Stony Brook women's soccer team rallied from an early deficit to remain unbeaten at home with a 3-1 victory over Lehigh on Sunday. Goals from Larissa Nysch (Dresher, Pa.), Sa'sha Kershaw (Baltimore, Md.) and Tessa Devereaux (Fayetteville, N.Y.) powered the Seawolves, who are now 3-0-1 at LaValle Stadium and 6-2-1 overall.
"We went down a goal early, but we didn't panic. We stayed with our gameplan and remained patient and that's very positive. I think we came out fired up in the second half and I can't say enough about the depth of our team. We were able to rest a lot of our starters, so they were fresh for the second half and it really showed as we scored twice in less than five minutes."
-- Head Coach Sue Ryan
The Numbers Game
- Lehigh scored just 2:25 into the match when Paige Elliott collected a through-ball on the right wing and fired across the goal, just inside the left post to make it 1-0 Mountain Hawks
- Nysch answered in the 15th minute, heading home a Kershaw chip at the right post after beating Lehigh keeper Ani Nahapetian to the ball
- Kershaw put the hosts on top for good just 52 seconds into the second half, directing a loose ball just over the goalline after a scramble in front
- Devereaux potted her first collegiate goal just over three minutes later, racing onto a Raven Edwards feed and dribbling around the goalie, before tucking it into the open net
- Stony Brook outshot Lehigh, 20-9
- Kershaw, Nysch and Devereaux each had a goal and an assist on the day
- Kershaw scored the game-winner for the second straight match after potting the decisive tally on Friday against Manhattan as well
- Junior Ashley Castanio (Oceanside, N.Y.) made three saves and picked up her sixth win
Stony Brook hosts Loyola Md. on Friday, Sept. 21 at 7 p.m. The match will be the final contest in non-conference play for the Seawolves.