Senior Sa'sha Kershaw scored her team-leading third goal of the season Friday
Sept. 14, 2012
SUNDAY LIVE: STATS | VIDEO
Stony Brook, N.Y. - Senior Sa'sha Kershaw broke a scoreless deadlock in the 86th minute to help the Stony Brook women's soccer team defeat Manhattan on Friday at LaValle Stadium. The victory was No. 200 for head coach Sue Ryan.
"Credit Manhattan as they came in with a good gameplan tonight. Their goalies made big saves and we needed to do a better job finishing our chances. We feel that if we can put more chances away, we'll be a potent team in the attacking third going forward. Tonight Sa'sha really came up big for us and sealed the victory with a nice one-time finish."
-- Head Coach Sue Ryan
- Freshman Raven Edwards (West Orange, N.J.) played the ball in front from the left wing and Kershaw directed it into the top right corner with a first-time finish
The Numbers Game
- Stony Brook dominated in the shots category, outshooting the Jaspers 30-4
- Kershaw's goal came on Stony Brook's 29th shot of the match
- Senior Taryn Schoenbeck (Newark, Del.) and junior Larissa Nysch (Dresher, Pa.) each had six shot attempts for the Seawolves
- Eight Stony Brook players attempted at least one shot
- Junior Ashley Castanio (Oceanside, N.Y.) made two saves and picked up her third shutout of the season
- Kershaw leads the team with three goals and six points, while Edwards is second with two goals and five points
- Ryan has won 200 games, all with the Seawolves, in her 28 seasons as a head coach
Stony Brook (5-2-1) hosts Lehigh on Sunday at 4:30 p.m.