Women's soccer topples St. John's for second straight win
Aug. 26, 2012
Queens, N.Y. - Goals by Caitlin Pfeiffer (Holland, N.Y.), Priscilla Wiggins (Princeton, N.J.) and Kristen Baker (Easley, S.C.) carried the Stony Brook women's soccer team to a 3-0 victory over BIG EAST foe St. John's on Sunday. The win was Stony Brook's first over a BIG EAST opponent in nearly 14 years.
"A lot of credit has to go to our backline today as we pitched our first shutout of the season. Ashley Castanio was great, getting her first collegiate shutout in net, and Ahriel Fernandez really commanded the defense and we're very proud of her leadership. Team-wise, this was a huge performance from a confidence standpoint but also in terms of gaining respect in the region with a win over a program like St. John's."
-- Head Coach Sue Ryan
• Pfeiffer opened the account in the 35th minute with a blast just inside the left post to make it 1-0
The Numbers Game
• Wiggins scored for the second straight game and is tied for the team lead with two goals
• Stony Brook received two goals from freshmen for the second consecutive match (Wiggins and Baker)
• Seawolves' keeper Ashley Castanio (Oceanside, N.Y.) made two stops and earned her first-career shutout
• Stony Brook more than tripled up St. John's in the shots department, 16-5
• St. John's held the edge in corners, 5-2
• Junior Larissa Nysch (Dresher, Pa.) led the Seawolves with four shots
• Stony Brook fielded 21 players on Sunday, 10 of which attempted at least one shot
• The Seawolves defeated St. John's for the first time since Oct. 13, 1998
The Seawolves (2-1-1) travel to Army on Friday, Aug. 31 for a 5 p.m. matchup against the Black Knights.