Nov. 28, 2012
Moon Township, Pa.- Harrisburg, Pa. native Sabre Proctor made a triumphant return to her home state with a game-high 16 points as the Stony Brook women's basketball team held off Robert Morris, 56-48, on Wednesday in Moon Township, Pa. The Seawolves have won two straight heading into Friday's matchup at Youngstown State.
"I was very happy with the way we started tonight. We came out ready to play and really imposed our will in the early stages. Credit Robert Morris for battling back, but in the end we did a nice job keeping our composure and finishing what we started."
--Head Coach Beth O'Boyle
- Stony Brook (3-2) hit seven of its first nine shots to jump out to a 15-2 lead at the 13:02 mark of the first half. Robert Morris (0-6) was forced to play catch-up the entire game, and while the Colonials did briefly tie it in the second half, the hosts never led as the Seawolves hung on for an eight-point win.
The Numbers Game
News & Notes
- The Seawolves made 17 of 25 free throws (68%), compared to just 6 of 9 for Robert Morris.
- Stony Brook had 13 assists on 18 field goals.
- The Seawolves outrebounded RMU, 42-33.
- Stony Brook forced 16 turnovers.
- In addition to Proctor's big night, fellow Pennsylvania native Chikilra Goodman (Philadelphia, Pa.), chipped in six points, four assists and a team-high nine rebounds.
- Senior Jessica Previlon (Brooklyn, N.Y.) fell just one point and two rebounds short of a third straight double-double with a nine-point, eight-rebound effort.
- Freshman Brittany Snow (Shamong, N.J.) tied a career-high with 12 points on 4-for-8 shooting.
- Artemis Spanou led RMU with 13 points, 16 rebounds and three assists.
- The Seawolves have a winning record after five games (3-2) for the first time since the 2005-06 season when the team also started 3-2 and finished with 20 wins and a WNIT appearance.
- Stony Brook has outrebounded its opponent in three straight games. The Seawolves have posted at least 40 rebounds in each of those contests.
- Proctor scored 16 points for the second time this season (Navy).
- Head coach Beth O'Boyle is now 2-0 against Robert Morris having also beaten the Colonials last season.
- Senior Dani Klupenger (Aurora, Ore.) knocked down two 3's on Wednesday, giving her 72 career triples, the seventh-most in school history.
Winners of two straight and three of their last four, the Seawolves will travel to Youngstown State to close out a four-game road trip Friday. Tipoff is set for 7 p.m.