April 26, 2013
Baltimore, Md. -
The Stony Brook men's tennis team's season came to an end with a 4-1 loss to UMBC at the America East Championships. Freshman Jose Morales (Bradenton, Fla.) was a winner at No. 3 singles to capture the Seawolves' only point.
Morales defeated UMBC's Alex Drean, 6-7, 6-2, 6-2.
Senior Robert Forai (Novi Sad, Serbia) and sophomore Albert Fontova (Lleida, Spain) battled in their matches at No. 5 and 6 singles, respectively, but each fell in the third set.
Freshman Mons Knudtzon (Oslo, Norway) was up 5-3 in the third set, but the contest ended when UMBC captured its third singles point.
Morales and Knudtzon combined to win at No. 1 doubles, but UMBC won the other two doubles matches to capture the point.
UMBC 4, Stony Brook 1
1. Knudtzon/Morales (SBU) def. Carter/Berret (UMBC) 8-4
2. Svard/Loubatie (UMBC) def. Locatelli/Forai (SBU) 8-4
3. Gray/Drean (UMBC) def. Timmermann/Degani (SBU) 8-5
1. Rick Timmermann (SBU) vs. Justin Carter (UMBC) 6-7, 6-3, 1-4 (DNF)
2. Mons Knudtzon (SBU) vs. Melker Svard (UMBC) 6-3, 2-6, 5-3 (DNF)
3. Jose Morales (SBU) def. Alex Drean (UMBC) 6-7, 6-2, 6-2
4. Gaulthier Berret (UMBC) def. Marcelo Locatelli (SBU) 6-3, 6-1
5. Kamal Patel (UMBC) def. Robert Forai (SBU) 3-6, 6-4, 6-3
6. Daniel Gray (UMBC) def. Albert Fontova (SBU) 6-3, 4-6, 6-1