April 27, 2013
Stony Brook, N.Y. -
The Stony Brook men's lacrosse team lost to No. 10 Albany, 21-12, in the regular season finale for both teams. Despite the loss, the Seawolves will face the Great Danes in one America East Championship semifinal on Thursday night.
Freshman Brody Eastwood (Victoria, British Columbia) tallied his ninth career hat trick for Stony Brook (7-8, 2-3). Freshman Challen Rogers (Coquitlam, British Columbia) set a career-high with four assists and tied a career-high with six points.
Junior Miles Thompson led Albany (11-4, 5-0) with five goals and nine assists.
Stony Brook clinched a berth in the America East Championship by virtue of UMBC's win over Binghamton earlier in the day.
Coach Jim Nagle's Reaction
- "Tonight our youth showed. All in all, I'm pleased to be in the conference tournament. Albany is a good team, and we'll go back and look at ways of getting better. We have a tendency to play tight, but at the end of the day, we're going to the conference tournament and that's what matters most."
- Goals from Eastwood and sophomore Alex Harris (Centereach, N.Y.) cut the Albany lead to 8-4 with 3:50 left in the second quarter. The Great Danes outscored the Seawolves, 8-2, over the next 15 minutes of game action to lead 16-6. John Maloney's goal gave Albany its biggest lead, 21-10, with 9:07 left in the fourth quarter.
By the Numbers
News & Notes
- Stony Brook recorded a season-high 36 ground balls.
- Eight of Stony Brook's 12 goals were scored by freshmen.
- The 21 goals scored were the most given up by Stony Brook since a 20-goal effort by No. 2 Virginia in 2009.
- Stony Brook forced 24 Albany turnovers.
- Challen Rogers extended his point streak to 15 games.
- The loss broke a seven-game winning streak over Albany, and the all-time series is tied at 13.
- Stony Brook has scored at least 10 goals in the last six games, but is 2-4 over that span.
- Alex Harris scored his first collegiate goal.
- Freshman Frank Lucatuorto tied for a game-high nine ground balls.
- Since joining the America East Conference, Stony Brook has been made the conference tournament every year.
- The Seawolves will be seeded fourth, while Albany is first. Hartford is the No. 2 seed followed by No. 3 UMBC.
- Stony Brook honored seniors Jeff Tundo, JJ Laforet and Savaughn Greene before the game.
- The 2013 America East Championship will be played on the Stony Brook campus at Kenneth P. LaValle Stadium. Thursday night's game against Albany is scheduled for 7 p.m. For tickets and more information, visit GoSeawolves.org or call (631) 632-WOLF.