Marist rallies past Men's Lacrosse, 10-9

Mike Rooney
Mike Rooney
Men's Lacrosse Home

Hughes, Rock to compete in USILA/Nike North-South Senior All-Star Game

Rees, Anderson named to America East All-Championship Team

Stony Brook finishes season ranked 17th in both polls

Stony Brook on Facebook
Stony Brook on Twitter

March 3, 2012

Final Stats

Stony Brook, N.Y. - Despite three points apiece from seniors Robbie Campbell (Delta, British Columbia) and Russ Bonanno (Seaford, N.Y.), Marist's Connor Rice scored with 36 seconds left to break a 9-9 tie and sent the Red Foxes (2-0) past Stony Brook (0-3), 10-9, in the Seawolves' 2012 home opener.

Rice's goal, his third of the day, came off a cross-crease pass from Jack Doherty, who also scored three goals.

Redshirt freshman Mike Rooney (East Islip, N.Y.) and junior Nick Watson (Manchester, England) joined Campbell and Bonanno with two goals.

Rice led all players with five points.

"We were penalized way too much today, and gave Marist too many opportunities," coach Jim Nagle said. "I give Marist a lot of credit for playing within their system. We've got to be more consistent which starts with fundamentals."

Despite winning just one face-off in the third quarter, Stony Brook and Marist were tied at seven going into the fourth quarter.

Freshman Mike Andreassi (Holbrook, N.Y.), who won five of Stony Brook's 10 face-offs, won the opening draw of the quarter to give the Seawolves some momentum.

After a flag was thrown on Marist, a loose ball was corralled by Campbell, who scored unassisted 33 seconds into the final period. Rooney nearly made it 9-7 a minute later, but his shot hit the post. But one possession later, Rooney's goal at 10:29 gave the Seawolves the game's only two-goal lead of the game, 9-7.

Doherty scored a man-up goal to make it 9-8 with 5:55 left.

The Red Foxes were man-up again just 29 seconds later, and Rice capitalized off a failed Stony Brook clear, scoring to tie the game for the seventh time on the afternoon.



A holding call on the face-off gave Stony Brook one final possession. Campbell drove goal-line extended and scored, but Campbell was called for a crease violation, and Marist retained possession.

Both of Watson's goals gave Stony Brook one-goal leads. The first 45 minutes of the game featured six ties and five lead changes.

Senior Jared LeVerne (Jericho, N.Y.) tallied three ground balls and three caused turnovers.

Stony Brook travels to face Delaware, a 13-9 winner over No. 8 Villanova, next Saturday, March 10 at 3 p.m.