Freshman Matt Schultz had a career-high four points vs. St. John's
Feb. 26, 2013
Queens, N.Y. -
Senior Jeff Tundo (Orchard Park, N.Y.) set a career-high with nine points as the Stony Brook men's lacrosse team picked up its second road win of the season with a 11-7 win over St. John's on Tuesday. Tundo tallied six of his nine points in the first half for the Seawolves (2-2), who limited their turnovers to only nine through the first three quarters.
Tundo finished the afternoon with five goals and four assists.
Freshman Matt Schultz (Smithtown, N.Y.) and sophomore Mike Rooney (East Islip, N.Y.) added two goals apiece. Rooney also tallied two assists.
Freshman Frank Lucatuorto (Stony Brook, N.Y.) dominated the face-off 'X', winning 14 draws to go along with a game-high seven ground balls. Sophomore Alex Harris (Centereach, N.Y.) was solid on wing play, picking up five ground balls.
Coach Jim Nagle's Reaction
"I told the team before the game that if we can get this one, we'll look back on this as a great win. St. John's has two of the better attackmen in Division I, and we did a very solid job of holding them down defensively. As for Jeff's performance, that was one of the better ones I've seen in 19 years of coaching."
By the Numbers
- Stony Brook completely dominated the second quarter, outscoring St. John's, 4-0. Down 3-2, the Seawolves outscored the Red Storm, 5-0, over three quarters. Tundo had three goals and two assists during the run and SBU held SJU without a goal for more than 26 minutes of game action.
- Freshman Challen Rogers' first-quarter goal extended his season-long point streak to four.
- Sophomore Mike Rooney has three of Stony Brook's six man-up goals. Rooney had four points in the first half, matching his season total in the first three games combined.
- Senior Jeff Tundo had five points in the first half and has tallied at least four points in three of the first four games.
- Stony Brook scored six unanswered goal after St. John's led 3-2. Tundo scored or assisted on the last four.
- St. John's was held scoreless for 26:26 of game action, stretching from the first to the third quarter.
- Tundo's previous career-high was eight points, set as a member of Ohio State against Mercer in 2011.
News & Notes
- Despite only five meetings between St. John's and Stony Brook, the series is one of the older ones in program history, dating back to 1986.
- Stony Brook and St. John's will meet in baseball at Citi Field on March 26.
- In the last meeting in Queens, Stony Brook held St. John's scoreless for the first 48-plus minutes of action.
- Stony Brook did not win its second road game until April 7 last season.
- Stony Brook will face its second straight Big East opponent on Saturday, March 2, taking on Rutgers at 1 p.m.