Central Connecticut Runs Past Football 38-28

Nov. 6, 2004

Final Stats

New Britain, Conn. - Cory Harge rushed for an NEC single-game record 331 yards and five touchdowns as Central Connecticut scored 24 unanswered points in the second half to post a 38-28 comeback win over Stony Brook Saturday afternoon. It was the third straight setback for the Seawolves who fell to 2-7, 2-5 in conference play.

Leading 21-14 at the break, Stony Brook extended its lead on the first drive of the second half. T.J. Moriarty hit Rod Williams on a middle screen and for the second straight week, Williams went the distance, going 60 yards for a touchdown and a 28-14 lead. Stony Brook would not score again.

CCSU (7-2, 5-1) responded with a six-play, 72-yard drive that was capped by a 27-yard Harge touchdown run, his third of the day. Late in the quarter, Harge brought the Blue Devils even with a 34-yard touchdown blast.

Harge continued his assault early in the fourth quarter, going in from 27 yards out with 14:45 to play and CCSU had the lead for the first time, 35-28. Derek Pearson's 29-yard field goal sealed the win with 4:33 remaining in the game.

The Seawolves began the game well, scoring on their first possession when Moriarty found Londre Blocker in the end zone on a 20-yard touchdown pass. It was the first touchdown that the Blue Devils have allowed in the first quarter all season long.

Stony Brook fell behind 14-7, but Moriarty's one-yard touchdown run in the second quarter pulled the Seawolves even at 14. Ray Goodsir gave the Seawolves the lead at the half when he intercepted a Scott Dolch pass and returned it 65 yards for a score with nine seconds to go before the break.

Moriarty finished with 322 yards on 22 of 37 passing. He became the second quarterback in school history to throw for more than 2,000 yards in a season as he now has 2,242 for the year. Josh Anderson caught six passes for 123 yards.



The Seawolves wrap up the season next weekend when they host Iona. Kick-off is 4 p.m.