Seawolves Roll Over Blue Devils

Nov 2, 2002

Final Stats

New Britain, CT (November 2, 2002) - The Stony Brook University football team scored two touchdowns in the fourth quarter to break a 10-10 halftime tie with Central Connecticut and defeat the Blue Devils 24-10 on Saturday night in New Britain. The night game was the first-ever at Central's Arute Field under the new permanent lights. Stony Brook is now 6-2 overall and 4-2 in the Northeast Conference with the victory while Central falls to 4-6 overall and 2-4 in the NEC.

Central Connecticut used two Stony Brook turnovers in the first half and converted them into 10 points to send the game in halftime tied at 10. But the Blue Devils were unable to convert on three other Stony Brook turnovers in the half and couldn't hold the lead they held early in the first quarter. Both teams combined for nine turnovers on the night, including seven in the first half.

Stony Brook quarterback Scott Bard scored what proved to be the game-winning touchdown 28 seconds in the fourth quarter from two-yards out. The Stony Brook drive took just three-plays and 17 yards (49 seconds) after an interception deep in Central territory. The Stony Brook lead extended to 24-10 six minutes later as Rod Williams scored from 18-yards out capping a 10-play, 69-yard drive for the Seawolves with 8:25 remaining in the ballgame.

The Seawolves entered the game as one of the top passing teams in the NEC but did their damage on the ground versus the Blue Devils on Saturday night. They rushed for a season-high 246 yards as a team including six different players with at least 25 yards on the ground. Stony Brook outgained the Blue Devils on the night, 424-232, including 178 yards through the air. Bard finished the night 19 of 31 for 140 yards and three interceptions. His counterpart, sophomore Scott Dolch, was 15 of 31 for 133 yards, one touchdown and three interceptions.



Central got on the board early in the first quarter capitalizing on an interception by Chris Blackshear. Freshman Derek Pearson kicked a career-high 43-yard field goal to give Central the lead, he is now 4-4 this season in attempt over 40-yards. Stony Brook responded on its next possession driving eight-plays for 70 yards and a one-yard touchdown run from Ken Lockhart. Michael Soto extended the lead with 19 seconds left in the first quarter, kicking a 32-yard field goal and a 10-3 lead.

The Blue Devils tied the game at 10 with 1:08 left in the half on a seven yard pass from Dolch to Nick Dresko capping a seven-play, 38-yard drive, also off a Stony Brook turnover.

Stony Brook's rushing attack saw five different Seawolves total 30 or more yards on the ground while seven different receivers caught passes on the night.

Defensively, the Seawolves picked off three passes and held Central to only 101 yards of total offense in the second half. Linebacker Aden Smith led the way with 12 tackles which upped his season total to 113, breaking his single-season tackle record of 112 that he set last season. Billy Buntin pitched in with 10 stops. Dan Bertzos, David Lee and Chad King each had an interception. For King, it was his team-leading fifth of the season.

Stony Brook's 6-2 record marks the first winning season since 1996 and the three-game winning streak is the first since 1995.