Stony Brook Goes 2-0 with 48-20 Win at Bucknell

Sept. 8, 2007

Final Stats

Lewisburg, Pa. - Special team play made a big difference tonight for Stony Brook, as the Seawolves got a kick return for a touchdown and returned a blocked punt for another as they defeated Bucknell, 48-20 in non-conference football action. It was the most points for Stony Brook since scoring 49 against St. Francis (Pa.) in 2003. The victory lifted the Seawolves to 2-0 for the first time since that same 2003 season.

After a slow offensive start to the game in which the two teams combined for just over 40 yards of offense over the first five drives of the game, Bucknell struck first, getting a one-yard scoring run from Kevin Mullen that capped off a 52-yard scoring drive with 2:09 left in the first quarter.

Stony Brook immediately answered the opening score of the game when sophomore Conte Cuttino (Uniondale, N.Y.) took the ensuing kick off at his own five, breaking through the wall of blockers on the right side of the field. He then cut back across the field and out raced the Bucknell defenders into the end zone. It was the first kick return for a score since Sal Davis ran a kick back 98 yards against Sacred Heart on Oct. 30, 2004.

"Down 7-0, we come back with that big kickoff return for a touchdown by Conte", said head coach Chuck Priore. "It was a group effort for us tonight, all segments of our game had periods of success."

Cuttino's return seemed to spark both the Seawolf offense and defense. After SBU stopped the Bison on their next possession, the Seawolves offense started to click and scored on its next two possessions. Taking over at its own 12, Stony Brook drove down the field with Cuttino capping the drive when he scampered around the left side for 20 yards and a score. The Seawolves struck again on its next drive, this time going 66 yards in six plays the Seawolves used a half-back option to score. Sophomore Steve Austin (Tequesta, Fla.) took the pitch from senior quarterback Josh Dudash (Beachwood, N.J.) and found junior Lynell Suggs (Bronx, N.Y.) for the 23-yard scoring play.



After a Bucknell field goal made it 21-10, Dudash made it nine straight games with a touchdown pass when he found sophomore Melaquan Saffold (Syracuse, N.Y.) on the next SBU drive for a four-yard score, the first TD reception of his career.

Bucknell then came back and scored got a Ryan Smith three-yard run just 19 seconds before the half before taking the opening kick off of the second half and drove down to the SBU three. An apparent Bison TD pass on third and goal was broken up by senior Adam Cooper (San Diego, Calif.), however, and Bucknell had to settle for a field goal that made it 27-20 in favor of Stony Brook.

Stony Brook then took its first drive of the first half to pay-dirt, answering Bucknell's field goal with a six-play, 55-yard drive that was finished with a 15-yard strike from Dudash to junior Dwayne Eley (Bowie, Md.).

Special team play then put the game on ice for Stony Brook. After the Seawolf defense forced a Bucknell punt late in the third quarter, sophomore Donald Lee (Clifton, N.J.) broke through the line and blocked the Bison punt attempt. Junior Andre Jean-Pierre (Irvington, N.J.) scooped up the ball and took it in untouched for the touchdown. Junior Luke Gaddis' (East Patchogue, N.Y.) kick made it 41-20. Stony Brook capped off its scoring with a one-yard plunge by junior Dwayne Eley (Bowie, Md.) with nine minutes left. Dudash finished with 233 yards passing, hitting on 21 of his 30 attempts as he eclipsed the 200-yard mark for the second straight week. Suggs had his first 100-yard game of the season receiving, hauling in six passes for 102 yards and one score. Junior Brandon Mason (Phillipsburg, N.J.) led the rushing attack with 95 yards on 15 carries. Stony Brook out gained Bucknell 429 yards to 279.