March 17, 2014
2013-14 Stony Brook Men's Basketball
STAY CONNECTED WITH OUR MOBILE APP: iPHONE | ANDROID
Albany, N.Y. - Stony Brook seeks another national postseason victory Tuesday night when it faces Siena in the first round of the College Basketball Invitational at the Times Union Center. The #Seawolves are in a national postseason tournament for the third consecutive year and fourth time in the last five seasons. Last season, they defeated Massachusetts in the first round of the NIT.
The winner of Tuesday's Stony Brook/Siena game will face either Penn State or Hampton in the CBI quarterfinals.
WUSB 90.1 FM will simulcast Siena's radio feed.
|Game 34 Matchup - Tuesday, March 18
|College Basketball Invitational First Round
|Stony Brook (23-10) vs. Siena (15-17)
|Times Union Center • Albany, N.Y. • 7 p.m.
Stony Brook #Seawolves (23-10, 13-3 America East)
Head Coach: Steve Pikiell, ninth season
Overall Record: 148-154
Record at SBU: 143-136
Siena Saints (15-17, 11-9 MAAC)
Head Coach: Jimmy Patsos, first season
Overall Record: 160-152
Record at Siena: 15-17
About the Game
- Stony Brook is back in a national postseason tournament for the third consecutive season and fourth time in the last five years, facing Siena in the first round of the College Basketball Invitational.
- This is Stony Brook’s first-ever appearance in the CBI; the #Seawolves are the fourth CBI selection coming from America East in the tournament’s seven-year history. Vermont appeared in the CBI in 2013 and 2009. Boston University was in the tournament in 2010.
- This is the first-ever meeting between Stony Brook and Siena.
- Stony Brook is 1-0 against MAAC opponents this season, defeating Marist in the season opener. Siena is 0-2 against America East teams, losing to Vermont and Albany. The two teams have played five common opponents this season - Albany, Vermont, La Salle, Cornell and Marist. Stony Brook 4-4 in those games; Siena is 2-4.
- The Saints are 15-17 this season and went 11-9 in the tough MAAC, earning a No. 5 seed in the MAAC Championship. They were bounced in the tournament quarterfinals by No. 4 Canisius.
- Siena has won eight of its last 12 games with two of the four losses coming in overtime.
- Rob Poole is the team’s leading scorer at 14.7 PPG and shoots 41.5% from the field. He also has the most three-pointers made (59) and is the team’s leader in getting to the free throw line.
- Brett Bisping is the team’s best inside presence, averaging 10.7 points and 6.3 rebounds.
- Marquis Wright ranks 29th nationally in assists (5.5/gm).
If Stony Brook Wins...
- Stony Brook will advance to the CBI quarterfinals against either Penn State or Hampton.
- The #Seawolves will earn their 24th victory of the season, just one shy of matching the 2012-13 team for most wins in the program’s Div. I history.