March 7, 2014
2013-14 Stony Brook Men's Basketball
STAY CONNECTED WITH OUR MOBILE APP: iPHONE | ANDROID
Albany, N.Y. - The time for action is now. Win and advance will be Stony Brook's motto this weekend as it embarks on its quest for its first-ever America East Championship. The No. 2 seed #Seawolves will face No. 7 Maine in the America East Championship quarterfinals Saturday at SEFCU Arena at 6 p.m. The winner of the game will advance to Sunday's semifinal vs. No. 3 Hartford or No. 6 Binghamton.
For fans wishing to come to Albany, tickets are on sale through the Albany website. There will also be an alumni pregame reception at Maggie's Sports Bar (1186 Western Ave, Albany, NY 12203) 90 minutes prior to tip-off.
Saturday's game will be nationally broadcast on ESPN3.
|Game 31 Matchup - Saturday, March 8
|America East Championship Quarterfinals
|No. 2 Stony Brook (21-9) vs. No. 7 Maine (6-22)
|SEFCU Arena Albany, N.Y. 6 p.m.
Stony Brook #Seawolves (21-9, 13-3 America East)
Head Coach: Steve Pikiell, ninth season
Overall Record: 146-153
Record at SBU: 141-135
Maine Black Bears (6-22, 4-12 America East)
Head Coach: Ted Woodward, 10th season
Overall Record: 117-177
Record at Maine: same
About the Game
- Stony Brook is three wins away from an NCAA Tournament bid and the quest begins Saturday with a quarterfinal match against Maine.
- Stony Brook is seeking a semifinal appearance for the fifth consecutive season.
- This is the 32nd all-time meeting between the two teams; Maine leads the series 16-15, but the #Seawolves have won seven straight matchups.
- Stony Brook is the No. 2 seed in this tournament for the first time ever.
- Eric McAlister is shooting 64.5% in eight career games against Maine.
- The Black Bears ended the regular season on a high note with a win over New Hampshire that broke a six-game losing streak.
- Maine has a potent offense that ranks first in America East in scoring (72.8 PPG). Xavier Pollard is at the top of chain, averaging 14.9 points while shooting 46.6%.
- Till Gloger has made a surge late in the season; over the last six games he is averaging 15.5 points and 7.5 rebounds.
- You never know exactly who is going to beat you; Maine has had nine different players lead the team in scoring.
- Maine's defense has been an issue, allowing 83.0 points a game, which is last in the conference and over 10 points a game worse than any other team. Opponents have eclipsed 80 points vs. Maine 19 times this season.
- Maine has just two wins outside of its home state - a neutral site win over Middle Tennessee State and a road win at New Hampshire.
If Stony Brook Wins...
- Stony Brook will advance to the semifinals for the fifth consecutive season.
- The #Seawolves will stretch their winning streak over Maine to eight games.
- Overall, it would be Stony Brook's 13th win in its last 16 games.
The Last Meeting
February 23, 2014
Puriefoy, Jackson ignite #Seawolves win at Maine
Sophomore Carson Puriefoy (Wenonah, N.J) scored a career-high 24 points, and senior Anthony Jackson (Columbus, Ohio) ignited a second-half rally with eight straight points as the Stony Brook men's basketball team came back to beat Maine, 83-79, Sunday afternoon at Cross Insurance Center.