Jan. 28, 2014
2013-14 Stony Brook Men's Basketball
STAY CONNECTED WITH OUR MOBILE APP: iPHONE | ANDROID
Albany, N.Y. - Winners of six straight overall and 13 straight in conference, Stony Brook puts it all on the line Wednesday in a road contest at Albany. This is a SUNY rivalry matchup as the two teams have met 61 times in their histories.
Stony Brook is looking to start America East play 8-0 for the first time ever.
|Game 22 Matchup - Wednesday, Jan. 29
|Stony Brook (15-6) vs. Albany (10-10)
|SEFCU Arena Albany, N.Y. 7 p.m.
(Champions 96.9/107.1 FM)
Stony Brook #Seawolves (15-6, 7-0 America East)
Head Coach: Steve Pikiell, ninth season
Overall Record: 140-150
Record at SBU: 135-132
Albany Great Danes (10-10, 4-3 America East)
Head Coach: Will Brown, 13th season
Overall Record: 182-201
Record at Albany: same
About the Game
- Stony Brook completes the first half of its conference schedule Wednesday with a battle against Albany, a rematch of last year's America East semifinals, won by the Great Danes.
- Albany is Stony Brook's most frequent opponent of all-time. This is the 62nd meeting between the two schools, and the Great Danes lead the series 36-25.
- Ahmad Walker is now the two-time reigning America East Rookie of the Week; he had a career-high 22 points and 11 rebounds last Sunday vs. Maine.
- Jameel Warney continues to lead the nation in field goal percentage (.660).
- Through seven conference games, Jameel Warney (.673) and Eric McAlister (.647) are one and two, respectively, in the league in shooting.
- The Great Danes, picked to finish third in America East, are the defending conference tournament champions. They brought back six letterwinners from last year, including All-America East forward Sam Rowley, who is averaging 11.6 points and 6.4 rebounds.
- In seven conference games, Peter Hooley has a league-best 16.3 points per game. He had 25 against Hartford and 27 against UMBC. He is averaging 17.7 points in seven home games.
- Gary Johnson is one of the conference's more improved players; he is averaging 10 points a game after a mere 3.5 points a game last season. He posted 28 points in the win at Maine on Jan. 18.
- The Great Danes are 8-0 when scoring 70 or more points; 2-10 otherwise.
If Stony Brook Wins...
- Stony Brook will improve to 8-0 in America East for the first time ever and extend its conference winning streak to 14 games, dating back to Feb. 2013.
- Stony Brook will extend its overall winning streak to seven games, which would equal the program's third-longest winning streak in its Div. I history.