Jan. 25, 2014
2013-14 Stony Brook Men's Basketball
STAY CONNECTED WITH OUR MOBILE APP: iPHONE | ANDROID
The Last Meeting
February 24, 2013
Brenton's career day lifts men's hoops to regular season championship
Senior Tommy Brenton scored 13 points, grabbed a career-high 20 rebounds and dished out seven assists as he led the Stony Brook men's basketball team to a 69-53 victory over the Black Bears to clinch at least a share of the America East regular season championship and the No. 1 seed in the America East Tournament.
Stony Brook, N.Y. - Red-hot Stony Brook looks to continue its winning ways at home and in America East Sunday as the #Seawolves host Maine at Pritchard Gymnasium at 2 p.m.
Stony Brook has won 12 straight conference games and 21 straight home conference games.
The first 1,000 fans in attendance will receive a free seat cushion, courtesy of M&T Bank.
A large crowd is expected for the game, so fans are encouraged to arrive early.
|Game 21 Matchup - Sunday, Jan. 26
|Stony Brook (14-6) vs. Maine (3-15)
|Pritchard Gymnasium • Stony Brook, N.Y. • 2 p.m.
Stony Brook #Seawolves (14-6, 6-0 America East)
Head Coach: Steve Pikiell, ninth season
Overall Record: 139-150
Record at SBU: 134-132
Maine Black Bears (3-15, 1-5 America East)
Head Coach: Ted Woodward, 10th season
Overall Record: 114-170
Record at Maine: same
About the Game
- Stony Brook seeks to extend its overall winning streak, conference winning streak and home winning streak Sunday against Maine.
- This is the 30th all-time meeting between the two teams. Maine leads the all-time series 16-13, but the #Seawolves have won five straight, including the last four at home.
- This is a matchup of the America East’s top two scoring (Maine - 74.2 PPG, SB - 73.7 PPG) and shooting (SB - 46%, Maine - 45.5%).
- Jameel Warney, the nation’s leader in field goal percentage (.658), was 7-for-11 with 18 points and nine rebounds Friday night in the win over Vermont.
- Eric McAlister scored a career-high 22 points last year vs. Maine at home.
- The Black Bears, who are 0-8 on the road this season, were picked eighth in America East after losing 45% of their scoring from last season.
- Maine struggles with defense, allowing 85.4 points a game. The team has held an opponent under 70 points just twice this season.
- The Black Bears have been strong on offense, scoring over 70 points 12 times in 18 games. Xavier Pollard has been outstanding, averaging 14.9 points while shooting 50.3% from the field.
- Dimitry Akanda-Coronel has been an x-factor; he has eight games of 16 or more points, but also has failed to score eight or more points in five games.
- In six conference games, Maine is averaging 17.3 turnovers.
If Stony Brook Wins...
- Stony Brook will improve to 7-0 in America East for the first time ever and extend its conference winning streak to 13 games, dating back to Feb. 2013.
- The #Seawolves will extend their home conference winning streak to 22 games.
- Stony Brook will extend its overall winning streak to six.