Jan. 23, 2014
2013-14 Stony Brook Men's Basketball
STAY CONNECTED WITH OUR MOBILE APP: iPHONE | ANDROID
Stony Brook, N.Y. - The top two teams in America East match up on national television Friday night when Stony Brook hosts Vermont at Pritchard Gymnasium at 9 p.m., live on ESPNU. Both teams are 5-0 in America East and looking for the leg up in the standings with a victory.
The Last Meeting
February 15, 2013
Stony Brook, N.Y.
Men's hoops rocks Vermont at sold-out Pritchard
The Stony Brook men's basketball team held Vermont to its season low in scoring, and senior Marcus Rouse came off the bench to go 6-for-8 from the field for 16 points as the Seawolves came away with a 65-48 win over the Catamounts in front of a raucous sellout Pritchard Gymnasium crowd Friday night.
Stony Brook has won 11 straight conference games and 20 straight home conference games while Vermont comes into the contest having won seven straight games while playing outstanding defense.
A large crowd is expected for the game, so fans are encouraged to arrive early.
|Game 20 Matchup - Friday, Jan. 24
|Stony Brook (13-6) vs. Vermont (11-8)
|Pritchard Gymnasium • Stony Brook, N.Y. • 9 p.m.
(Champions Radio 96.9/107.1 FM)
Stony Brook #Seawolves (13-6, 5-0 America East)
Head Coach: Steve Pikiell, ninth season
Overall Record: 138-150
Record at SBU: 133-132
Vermont Catamounts (11-8, 5-0 America East)
Head Coach: John Becker, third season
Overall Record: 62-76
Record at Vermont: 56-32
About the Game
- The last two remaining undefeated teams in America East square off as Stony Brook and Vermont battle for sole possession of first place.
- This is the 28th all-time meeting between the two schools. Although Vermont leads the all-time series 20-7, it has been even over the last 10 matchups at 5-5.
- Dave Coley has scored 20 or more points in three of his last four games, including a career-high 22 at UMBC on Monday.
- Jameel Warney averaged 13.5 points and 10.0 rebounds while shooting 78.6% in two career games vs. Vermont.
- Redshirt freshman Ahmad Walker was named America East Rookie of the Week after pouring in a career-high 18 points last Saturday vs. UMass Lowell.
- The Catamounts were the preseason favorite in America East after returning all five of its starters from last season’s team that advanced to the America East final for the eighth time in the last 11 years.
- Vermont has finished either first or second in the conference regular season in five consecutive seasons.
- The Catamounts have an outstanding defense that leads the conference. They are holding teams to 63.1 points a game and 40.8 percent shooting. In five conference games so far, they haven’t allowed an opponent to score more than 48 points.
- On offense, everyone contributes; the team has had seven different players lead a game in scoring. Clancy Rugg is the most consistent, averaging 13.3 points. He averages nearly six points from the free throw line alone.
- Brian Voelkel leads the conference in assists (5.8/gm) and is second to Jameel Warney in rebounding (8.6/gm).
If Stony Brook Wins...
- Stony Brook will improve to 6-0 in America East for the first time ever and extend its conference winning streak to 12 games, dating back to Feb. 2013.
- The #Seawolves will extend their home conference winning streak to 21 games.