May 22, 2014
AMERICA EAST CHAMPIONSHIP CENTRAL
Lowell, Mass. - Senior Frankie Vanderka (Levittown, N.Y.) pitched a complete game and held Maine scoreless in the final eight innings, and freshman Casey Baker (Ronkonkoma, N.Y.) went 2-for-4 with two RBI as the Stony Brook baseball team defeated Maine, 3-1, to advance to the winner's bracket of the 2014 America East Championship Thursday at LeLacheur Park.
The #Seawolves improve to 34-16 and have now won 24 of their last 30 games. They will face the winner of the Binghamton/Hartford game Friday at 6 p.m. Maine, who had a complete game effort from Tommy Lawrence, falls to 24-28 and will face the Binghamton/Hartford loser in an elimination game Friday at 2 p.m.
Head Coach Matt Senk's Reaction
"Today we had a great pitching matchup. It was everything everyone expected. Our guys came up with some big hits when we needed to get them them, and we took advantage of some scoring opportunities. Then Frank Vanderka was able to keep them from scoring in what was a tightly contested game. I'm very proud of my team."
After Maine scored in the top of the first inning, the #Seawolves responded with a run in both the first and second innings. Junior Kevin Krause (Staten Island, N.Y.) had an RBI groundout in the first. Then in the second, Baker hit a double to the right-center gap, and Italiano brought him home two batters later when he ripped a double down the left field line.
Stony Brook added a run in the sixth when Baker hit an RBI single. The Black Bears threatened to tie in the seventh when they loaded the bases, but Vanderka was in control as he induced cleanup hitter Alex Calbick to foul out down the right field line on a great catch by junior Robert Chavarria (Garden Grove, Calif.).
Vanderka then closed out the Black Bears by retiring the side in order in both the eighth and ninth innings to record his fifth complete game of the season.
Inside the Numbers
News & Notes
- Stony Brook had nine hits to go with its four runs. The team left seven men on base.
- Maine had eight hits and drew one walk. The team left nine men on base and was just 1-for-6 in RBI opportunities.
- Baker and junior Cole Peragine (Belle Ewart, Ontario) both had multi-hit games, going 2-for-4.
- Baker had the only multi-RBI game, driving in two.
- Senior Kevin Courtney (Lindenhurst, N.Y.) scored twice on the day.
- Vanderka started on the mound and pitched his fifth complete game of the season. He scattered eight hits and a walk, allowing one run. He struck out six. He improved to 4-5 on the season and lowered his ERA to 2.96.
- Stony Brook has now won 24 of its last 30 games.
- The #Seawolves are now 9-7 against Maine during the America East Championship, including 5-2 when the teams play in the first round.
- Stony Brook is now 8-4 all-time in the tournament's first round.
- Stony Brook is now 32-9 this season when holding its opponent under six runs.
Stony Brook will face either No. 2 Hartford or No. 3 Binghamton in the winner's bracket of the America East Championship Friday at LeLacheur Park at 6 p.m. The game will be carried live on AmericaEast.TV.