April 1, 2014
Stony Brook, N.Y. - The Stony Brook baseball team had four student-athletes record multi-hit games and three produce multi-RBI games as the #Seawolves took care of Marist, 9-3, Tuesday afternoon at Joe Nathan Field. Sophomore Tyler Honahan (Parker, Colo.) earned the victory after 5-2/3 strong innings on the mound.
Sophomore Jack Parenty (Wantagh, N.Y.), junior Cole Peragine (Belle Ewart, Ontario), freshman Casey Baker (Ronkonkoma, N.Y.) and sophomore Johnny Caputo (Toronto, Ontario) all had two hits in the game. Baker, Caputo and senior Kevin Courtney (Lindenhurst, N.Y.) all had two RBI.
Stony Brook is now 12-10 on the season and has won 12 of its last 16 games, including all nine games at Joe Nathan Field. Marist falls to 7-17.
Head Coach Matt Senk's Reaction
"Today was a solid overall team performance. We had a lot of hits, timely two-out hitting, good starting pitching and key pitches when we needed them in relief. Overall just a terrific job by the team."
The #Seawolves led the entire game, but it was their four-run sixth inning that pushed the contest out of reach. With two outs and two on, Courtney roped a single to center that scored Parenty. Then Peragine stepped up and hit a soft liner to center that fell in front of the defender and Peragine turned it into a double that scored Chavarria. With runners on second and third, Baker brought them both home with a single to center, making it 8-1 Stony Brook.
Marist made it interesting in the top of the seventh, scoring twice. The Red Foxed had the bases loaded, two outs and the tying run on deck, but freshman Cameron Stone (West Haven, Conn.) came on in relief and struck out Graham McIntire looking with a sweeping curveball to end the threat.
Stone finished the game to earn his fourth save of the season.
Inside the Numbers
- Stony Brook pounded out 12 hits and drew eight walks. The #Seawolves did not strike out today.
- Marist had four hits and drew five walks.
- Five batters were hit by a pitch.
- Stony Brook had seven two-out RBIs on the day and batted .429 with two outs (6-for-14).
- Parenty, Peragine, Baker and Caputo all had multi-hit days. Peragine was 2-for-2 with two walks. Parenty was 2-for-3 with two walks and two runs scored.
- Courtney, Baker and Caputo all delivered two RBIs.
- Honahan started on the mound and went 5-2/3 innings, allowing one run on three hits. He walked one and struck out two.
- Stone earned his fourth save of the year with 2-1/3 shutout innings. He didn't allow a hit, walked two and struck out two.
News & Notes
- Stony Brook is now 9-0 at Joe Nathan Field this season.
- The #Seawolves have won 12 of their last 16 games.
Stony Brook will host Sacred Heart Wednesday at Joe Nathan Field at 3:30 p.m.