Rita & Kurt Eppenstein Athletics Hall of Fame
The Stony Brook University Department of Athletics Hall of Fame began in 1991 with the induction of its first members. Since that first ceremony, 46 of Stony Brook's most decorated athletes, celebrated coaches and valued supporters have been enshrined in the Hall in recognition of their accomplishments. As we move forward, the Stony Brook Department of Athletics looks forward to continued opportunities for honoring former athletes, coaches and contributors with future Hall of Fame induction ceremonies.
On October 20, 2007 the Hall of Fame was dedicated as the Rita & Kurt Eppenstein Athletics Hall of Fame to honor the memory of Rita and Kurt Eppenstein, two quintessential New Yorkers whose lives serve as a higher lesson in ethics, character and perseverance, and who sacrificed much to enable their son to graduate from college and law school, and to enjoy the opportunities and experiences that flowed from their own American dream. Their son, Ted Eppenstein '68, was enshrined in the Hall of Fame in the fourth class to be inducted in 1994.
Congratulations to all current Stony Brook Athletics Hall of Fame members. We look forward to future ceremonies honoring more of the best who have ever represented Stony Brook Athletics.
SUBMIT A HALL OF FAME NOMINATION
The Stony Brook Department of Athletics is currently accepting nominations for the Rita and Kurt Eppenstein Hall of Fame.
April 1 is the deadline for nominations to be considered for the Class of 2016 fall induction. Nominations and any supporting materials can be submitted via the nomination form that can by clicking the link above. Nominations can be emailed to SeawolvesUnited@stonybrook.edu, faxed to (631) 632-8841 or mailed to Andrea Lebedinski, Coordinator of Donor Relations and Stewardship at:
Attn: Hall of Fame Committee
Indoor Sports Complex
Stony Brook University
Stony Brook, N.Y. 11794-3500
Please provide as much supporting documentation (newspaper articles, copies of award recognitions, rankings of team/individual records, etc.) to your submission(s) in order for the Committee to properly review, verify and consider the nomination.
To be eligible, an inductee must satisfy the qualifications in one of the following five sections:
- A graduate of Stony Brook University or a student-athlete whom left in good academic standing prior to leaving to pursue a professional opportunity
- Student-Athletes become eligible for admission five (5) years after their eligibility has expired or after degree was conferred*
*Certain individuals shall be nominated for posthumous induction and in that event, the five-year limitation shall be waived.
- Student-Athlete must have participated for a minimum of two (2) years on a varsity team
- Student-Athlete must have favorably represented Stony Brook University as an undergrad and distinguished themselves in their field of play
- Special considerations should be given to a candidates achievements as far as:
- National Champions
- All American
- Honorable Mention All American
- Record holder in nation, region, conference or team
- Conference, Team and other awards
Special consideration will be made for those student-athletes with outstanding contributions and/or accomplishments to the University but may not have met some eligibility criteria listed above
Stony Brook University teams that have distinguished themselves both on and off the field during a specific season may be an inductee. At least five (5) years must have passed since the season under consideration. Desirable qualifications would include:
- Teams which have distinguished themselves on the playing field (outstanding win-loss record, league championship, NCAA Tournament participation)
- Teams which have provided to the University leadership, character and courage
- Individual who distinguished him/herself in service and/or support of Stony Brook Athletics
- An individual whose distinguished career or profound contribution to athletics merits induction to this Hall of Fame
- Coaches and administrators must no longer be performing the duties at Stony Brook University for which they have been nominated